This is another throw-together, all in one bowl meal. This recipe works for all Phases, but for Phase 2/3 you can swap the caulk rice with brown (or even white) rice, add some jicama, and up the carbs. This bowl works no matter the ingredients – as long as you have a base of rice and beans, the rest just adds to it.
- 3-6oz protein (steak, chicken, shrimp, fish)
- ½ cup black or pinto beans
- ½-1 cup cauliflower rice (sub brown rice for Phase 2, white rice works for Phase 3)
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Tomato, chopped, or tomato salsa
- Radish, sliced
- 1oz cheese (cotija, feta, jack)
- 2-4 Tbsp Avocado Crema
1. Spray protein with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. For steak (tri tip), shrimp, or fish (tilapia), grill for 5 minutes on each side in a preheated cast iron pan. For chicken, I will often use the breast parts of a rotisserie chicken.
2. Prepare the rice. I use frozen cauliflower rice or frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s, and both take about 3 minutes in the microwave to heat up. I portion out the 1/2 and save the rest in container for later.
3. While the protein is cooking and the rice is heating up, chop and prepare vegetables.
4. Mix all ingredients together and top with the Avocado Crema. Garnish with cilantro.
Makes 1 serving.